Latest site posts:

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How Did Your DirecTV Retention Call Go?

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

From Todd via comment to the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

Long time customer on Preferred Xtra with a Genie and 3 minis, no movies, etc. beyond Movies Extra Pack for my wife’s Hallmark fix. Called since $25/month Loyalty offer just expired and was fairly quickly offered $40/month for 12 months, so that even more than covers the January increase. Was afraid that it would be harder based on other reports here, but maybe they are getting more friendly?? I called on Tuesday around Noon and got agent in Miami call center. Discount showed on on web page in a few minutes plus got confirmation email.

From Ryan via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

DirecTV is NO longer my go-to. I have been a customer for 15 years until today. I recently moved and was told my bill would be lowered since such a long time customer. On the contrary, it went up. After DirecTV stating that it may take a couple of months to receive the discounts that I was told I’d receive, I got a bill today for $227.20. Holy MONKEY! I’ve NEVER had a bill this high… not even during football season!! So, I did what I thought best and called to cancel. The lady on the other end told me I owed 20 per month to cancel, and had no record of my previous 15 years, nor the discounts. I was transferred to another delightful person who stated the same, then said he’d see if he could get me a better deal. He returned after several minutes of being on hold, and gave me a cancellation number. SO much for retention, huh? Good bye DirecTV. NEVER AGAIN!

From John via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

2 years ago (Pre AT&T), I negotiated $40 off my bill plus free movie channels for 6 months with agreement of 2 year contract. Today I called 1-877-445-0625 at 2pm. Went through automated prompts saying I wanted to disconnect. Was immediately connected to a call center. Told the younger guy on the line I wanted to disconnect because price was too high. He put me on hold and came back within a few minutes with an offer for $50 off my bill for 12 months with no contract required. I asked if they had any free movie channels to offer as well and I ended up with Showtime for 4 months. I took the deal. I probably could have played hardball more, but I was actually only looking for $40 off my bill to begin with. The call only took 8 minutes. 🙂

Customer of 15 yrs,  2 years ago I received $60 a month/yr off plus HBO and SHO for 4 months.  Last year I was given $40 a month/yr  with 4 months of SHO.  I called on 12/28 and again today 1/2/20 and was only offered $30 month for a year with 4 months of SHO.  I informed the rep that this wasn't good enough and I set a cancel date of 1/23.  I'll update if I receive a call back with a better offer.  I've never gone as far as cancelling before but I'm done with Directv unless they give me a better offer.

I have been a loyal customer for 6 years. I have always had good luck with negotiating discounts during that time and bills paid on time every month.  I have gotten sunday ticket every year and have alot of equipment, 6 t.v.'s hooked up.  Anyway I have talked to four seperate people from the retention department since Sept.  I talked with a manager in Sept. I asked for a $60 off discount like I had the previous year.  They offered me $40. She said, call back in Oct. this offer will still be there for you, but you may get a better one.  So, I didnt except that first offer.  I called back in Oct., Nov, and now today, 1/3/20.  They are offering my nothing.  Not $1.00 off on my bill.  They will not even offer me the $40 off per month that they did in Sept.  Needless to say, I'm in shock that I havent had any success.  I will be cancelling services in the next week and going with a streaming service.  I guess I'm calling their bluff this time.

From Kory via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

From Chris via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

Called and canceled my service with no push back. Two days later I got a call from direct tv. I told them bill was to high and I switching to a streaming service. She said she could take $50 off for 12 months. I was hesitant and told her I’d have to talk to my wife because that’s still more than we are willing to pay. She immediately knocked off another $35 bucks. I probably could’ve squeezed some movie channels outta her but I don’t really care about having those. My bill went from $115 a month before taxes to $35.

Quote from Guest on January 2, 2020, 2:10 pm

Customer of 15 yrs,  2 years ago I received $60 a month/yr off plus HBO and SHO for 4 months.  Last year I was given $40 a month/yr  with 4 months of SHO.  I called on 12/28 and again today 1/2/20 and was only offered $30 month for a year with 4 months of SHO.  I informed the rep that this wasn't good enough and I set a cancel date of 1/23.  I'll update if I receive a call back with a better offer.  I've never gone as far as cancelling before but I'm done with Directv unless they give me a better offer.

Update: I received a flyer in the mail stating that they wanted me back with Directv(even though I still have service until 1/23).  The flyer had a number to call.  I called the number and was asked the usual questions about what channels were important to us.  I informed the rep that I wasn't interested in changing the package and he immediately offered me $70 off per month for 1 year with no contract.

I accepted the offer and asked if the offer of SHO was still available.  The rep then gave me HBO, SHO, MAX, and  TMC free for 3 months.

I'm very happy and onboard for another year.

Savings Beagle has reacted to this post.
Savings Beagle
Quote from Guest on January 14, 2020, 11:13 am
Quote from Guest on January 2, 2020, 2:10 pm

Update: I received a flyer in the mail stating that they wanted me back with Directv(even though I still have service until 1/23).  The flyer had a number to call.  I called the number and was asked the usual questions about what channels were important to us.  I informed the rep that I wasn't interested in changing the package and he immediately offered me $70 off per month for 1 year with no contract.

I accepted the offer and asked if the offer of SHO was still available.  The rep then gave me HBO, SHO, MAX, and  TMC free for 3 months.

I'm very happy and onboard for another year.

Now that is a good retention deal!  Thanks so much for sharing your initial and follow-up conversations with DirecTV.  Two very informative data points for those getting ready for a DirecTV retention call of their own.

I've been a Directv customer for 16 years.  I had been paying $85 a month for some time for service on one tv (receiver from 2011) their cheapest package and no extras. In December 2018 I called to see if I could get a better price.  I was given a really nice deal - $50 off for 12 months. Since that expired last month,  I called two weeks ago to see if I could get a similar deal. No dice - bill now up to $87. The best they could do was $25 off to make the bill about $63. I think that is too high - I'm okay with $50 at most. So I asked for a disconnect date (really didn't want to) which just happened last Monday, January 27th.  No retention phone calls, no email - big fat nothing.  All I see on my AT&T  account is a message telling me to "be sure and pay what you owe and return equipment" despite the rep telling me in the initial call that I do not have to return the receiver. I am on the fence about calling again but honestly the other services out there - Dish and local cable are about the same price. I am rather disappointed in this company because with all the competition from streaming platforms, you'd think they'd need to keep every customer they can.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next