Latest site posts:

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How Did Your DirecTV Retention Call Go?

Page 1 of 4Next

Savings Beagle is starting a forum for readers to interact with us, as well as other readers, to get the latest information on the kind of offers DirecTV is providing to keep subscribers.

If you haven't already, check out our posts on how to lower your DirecTV bill.

How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill

My 2019 DirecTV Retention Call Was a Mixed Bag, But in the End I Save - and Made - Money

These should provide a roadmap for your own DirecTV retention call, and, hopefully, a lower DirecTV bill.

Then, let us know how your call to DirecTV went...good or bad...so we can all learn from each other's experiences. I'll add comments from the above posts to get us started. Helpful info might include:

• Years with DirecTV
  • DirecTV plan on which a deal was offered
  • Specifics of the deal
  • Who offered the discount (front-line rep, VIP/Retention department, email, etc.)?
  • If you called in, what telephone number did you call?

The more information we can provide each other, the better our chances of lowering our DirecTV bills.

From Ellen via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

I called a month ago and asked for another promotion since my almost 50 dollar monthly promotion expired, told them I wanted to cancel. Transferred to retention
Departure. All they offered was a 5 dollar discount a month, said it wasn’t good enough and that I would call back soon and cancel. I called today and was transferred to Retention department who offered me 15 bucks month discount for 1 year, I said could they do better or else I’ll cancel, so then I got transferred to loyalty department where they finally offered me 25 a month for a year discount so I took it.
I’ll call again in a month or 2 to ask for another discount. Thanks,

From Emmy via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

Thank you for your help and these awesome tips! I just called and got a $50/month credit which is truly appreciated!

From Sheila via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

Thank you so much for your advice and awesome tips! I spoke with two very nice customer service reps. The first one wasn’t able to offer any discounts so I asked to schedule a disconnect date. I explained to the disconnect rep that the price had become too expensive and they weren’t able to offer any discounts. He was able to offer a $40 discount. Two years ago (we called in the evening) when we asked for a better rate they only offered a $10 discount. Would say calling during normal business hours helped. Thanks!

From Denise via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

My discount expired on my last billing cycle. I was given a $100 discount last year so my bill was going to increase from $64 to $164 and I called the general customer service number and was sent to the retention department. My numerous attempts there to lower the rate were largely unsuccessful. I was offered a one-time discount of $25 and a monthly discount of $15 after that. I down graded my package a couple of levels but was still paying more than what I had for a lot more channels. I found this website when I Googled “how to save on my Directv bill” and I called on Saturday and asked again for a lower rate and but no luck so I politely said that I would like to disconnect at the end of my current cycle. (If you go past the last day of your billing cycle, you have to pay for the whole next month and it won’t be pro-rated, I was told, so keep that in mind.) On Sunday, I received a call offering me a $60 discount and a $25 discount, in addition to the $15 the offered previously and also received a $200 Visa gift card. So now I’m back to where I was before, which was my ultimate goal. The lady that called Sunday was very helpful and I didn’t have to “demand” anything, this is the offer they gave right away. I just wanted to share this success story to let everyone know that they are still offering good discounts. The reps that I talked to prior to the one who called me were all telling me that once a good rate expires that it will be at least a couple of months before you are eligible for any better rates, but this lady said her department has more “flexibility” when it comes to offering discounts. It’s a hassle doing this every year, but I’m willing to deal with it to save so much. Thanks for this website. I wouldn’t have known the “disconnect tip” without reading it here!

From Scott via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

I was receiving a $60 monthly credit on my account up until Oct, 2019. I have 4 receivers w/ the Choice package. My bill went from $88 to $148. I called to see if I could renew the offer, the best they would offer me was a $5 monthly credit. Said I wanted to cancel, was transferred to customer retention, same deal, $5 monthly credit. Waited, no call for the month. Termination day came and went, nothing. I then called to get information on how to send the boxes back (I already knew, but used it as my excuse to call in). Went to customer retention. I got a very nice kid who asked me a few questions on why and I was VERY POLITE in my responses. He put me on hold for about 5 mins (checking with me periodically) and came back with the following deal: 4 Receivers, Choice package, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax (3 months free), rest of season NFL Sunday Ticket (whatever) & $200 visa gift card for $98/month. This was more per month than I was paying, but the $200 gift card makes up the difference. It helped that I let the termination happen. Thanks for all of the tips!!

**Update**
After renewing, the movie channels and the NFL Sunday Ticket never showed up on my channel guide. Waited a week to see if they would appear, but nothing. Called this morning to find out what was up. Ended up in customer retention again and politely explained the situation. Was told there was nothing on my account that would indicate I should get any promotional channels. After some persistence, and a 5 minute hold, was given an additional $30/month credit for 12 months taking my bill to $68/month. That was completely unexpected. It goes to show that there is room for additional savings, but you have to keep them honest.

From Jeremy via comment on the post How to Lower Your DirecTV Bill in 2019.

I just got off the phone with Direct TV. I had my bill in hand and went to the Dish website to see their offers. I found the comparable package for 64.99/month. I was paying $143 plus $13.99 for showtime to direct tv. I got a real nice lady on the phone. I told her what I could get Dish for and their price is a 2 year guarantee.. She was from Jamaica. We had a great conversation while she processed the order. I had her take off Showtime as I watched all the movies that were on there for now. She then took off $40/month for 12 months right off the top. Then she did another discount of $23 for as long as i have direct tv. So in total I get $63/month for 12 months then the $23 sticks until I cancel if I ever do. SO now my bill went from $157-showtime $13.99= $143.11-$63= 80.11. A little higher than I could probably get Dish, but the channel lineup is slightly different and I’d have to go through the hassle of changing out equipment and losing my wife’s DVR shows. All in all I thought this was a fair discount without even having to do any more than call in and ask for disconnection. I’ve had Direct tv for approximately 13 years.

From Tyler via comment on the post My 2019 DirecTV Retention Call Was a Mixed Bag, But in the End I Saved - and Made - Money.

wow, direct is tightening up on subscriptions. Im on week two of canceling. 67 dollars was offered both times for CHOICE. I also asked for extra preferred but the operator said it was no longer offered. btw, you can call in every couple months and complain about something, signal sound or whatever. at the end of the call you can ask if they have any offers or discounts.

From Karen via comment on the post My 2019 DirecTV Retention Call Was a Mixed Bag, But in the End I Saved - and Made - Money.

Our DirecTV bill went up considerably so i called to ask how to lower my bill. They didn’t have anything to offer that would bring it back to around the same price that it was so we cancelled our service. We went to DirecTV Now (which we hated). When we received the box to return our equipment there was a page in the box with an offer to reconnect for $37.85. SERIOUSLY?! Why couldn’t they have just given me that option?

This month the promotion had ended and they deducted $122.71. I am getting the same run around this time. I have called four times and get different answers every time. One tells me they have nothing to offer, another gives me $66. It takes forever to get anywhere because they have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I told them we needed to keep FOX Sports Midwest. She kept avoiding the question because she didn’t want to answer. I keep calling back hoping to get someone that has a clue about their packages.

From Gary via comment on the post My 2019 DirecTV Retention Call Was a Mixed Bag, But in the End I Saved - and Made - Money.

I just called one of your retention numbers you listed. I’ve been a customer for 19 years. I just moved a year ago last December so I got a movers deal. Of course they put you in a 2 yr contract so the first year i got Big discount so my bill was around $100. So that special just ran out and my bill just jumped to $184. I do have 7 receivers. So I called and I was off the phone In 5 minutes. He gave me a $70 a month discount so my bill is $96 plus tax. I didn’t have to extend my contract or anything. It’s good for the remaining 12 months I’m under contract. Thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 4Next